Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Relationships

How is everyone doing? I've been really busy this past week! I'm feeling romantic. Welcome to a different side of me. Here is a little something about a different type of health; relationships. Health is not just eating well and staying active. There are plenty of different aspects and our relationships are one of them. Our ideals are changing in this fast-paced high-tech world.

I recently read that social media has increased the number of relationships a person maintains but it has lowered the quality of each relationship. Through technology we are able to keep up with more of our family, friends and colleagues. But, how solid are these bonds? I think we forget to nurture some of these relationships that should be stronger than what they are. How often do you post something on Facebook and not tell your closest friends one-on-one thinking "oh, they'll see my post"? How often have you found something out about someone you would consider close to you through one of these posts when everyone else finds out at the same time?
Instagram: abels_mom


One rule my husband and I have is no phones during the meals that we eat together. This is a strict rule whether we are at home or eating out. I've seen it too frequently. Two people out to eat not speaking to each other but on their smart phones. Sometimes it's two friends and sometimes it's a couple. Not too long ago we were at my nephew's first birthday party. I was sitting at a table with my closest cousins. At least four of them were looking at their phones. You have some of your closest family right in front of you. What about nurturing these relationships since you have the chance? I got up from the table and said "since you guys are busy..."

Don't get me wrong. Technology like FaceTime and Skype can be incredible. My sister and stepmother live in the Philippines. It's great that we can see each other and have a live conversation on Skype. They also get to see my son grow. My brother studies out of state and we miss each other. FaceTime is such a nice way of talking and seeing the other person's face. My best friend from high school moved away to Michigan. Every month or so we make a Skype date. I don't have to follow her Facebook feed!

With the cameras on our smart phones having such a good quality we're tempted to capture everything. I mean, it's so easy. I've learned that sometimes you just have to put the phone or camera down and just enjoy the moment and be in it 100%. I follow this rule especially with my son. I love taking pictures of him. But he knows when my attention is divided.

We use our phones for so many things; email, calendar, camera, alarm clock, weather, bank account, to do lists, web, twitter, Facebook, Instagram, google+. I can go on and on. And we're tempted so often to pick up our phone whenever something comes to mind. Here is my challenge for you. When you get home from work don't pick up your phone until the kids are down. Eat your meals without your phones at the table. Call a close friend whose feed you follow on Facebook. Make a date with that person! 


In good health,
Alana

My son Abel

No comments:

Post a Comment