Sunday, February 10, 2013

Breakfast Ideas

Good morning y'all!

This is another post inspired by my girl Cole. Cole is trying to get healthy and working on changing her eating habits. She recently asked for breakfast ideas. When you are learning how to eat better breakfast is the best place to start. You've heard it before and here it is again: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. All of our meals are important. But that first meal can really set the tone for your day. I am in the office bright and early. So I eat at my desk. Some of these ideas are not easy for those on the go. Perhaps you can give it a little more time on the weekends. I see a lot of protein pancakes and paleo pancakes on Instagram. Once I give it a try I'll definitely fill you in on how it goes. Like I said I am in the office bright and early. During the weekdays I have two small breakfasts and it could be a mix of any of these two...

Chobani Greek Yogurt (my personal favorites are vanilla and honey) with low fat granola: I like Chobani because it's not as sweet as some of the others. Don't forget Greek yogurt has more protein which makes it a better choice. Granola is famous for being high in fat. Because its easily accessible and inexpensive I like Special K Low-fat granola.

Plain oatmeal sweetened with honey and dried fruit like cranberries or raisins: If you meal prep you could put diced fresh fruit.  If you don't add a sliced banana. Same for the Greek Yogurt especially if its plain.

Two boiled eggs: Eat the whole thing. Egg yolks have a lot of nutrients in them.

Egg white omelette with veggies: If you're not a cheese person skip it... Even better! 3 egg whites are a good portion. Coat the pan in olive oil. My personal favorite combination is baby spinach, tomato and feta.  A couple of other ideas are; (1) mushrooms, peppers, onions and cheddar, (2) tomatoes and mozzarella. Add a side of three pieces of turkey bacon. This is a bigger meal so you may not need a mid morning snack.

All of these are good sources of protein.  This is good especially if you exercise (like you should).
I don't eat much red meat; beef, pork maybe once a week. One of my college professors once pointed out to us that the way our digestive system is designed is not to eat red meat. Further, cow products stick to your insides and become toxic.  If you eat red meat more than twice a week, it may be tough to take it out of your diet for the sake of meal ideas alone.  Start slow and work your way up to this.  Same goes for carbs, one day at a time.  Until next time...

In good health,
Alana


1 comment:

  1. I eat two boiled eggs every morning... One of nature's purest forms of protein.

    ReplyDelete