Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Making Better Choices

I went to grab lunch with a coworker one day. It had to be quick because it was a busy day. So, we went to McDonalds. Keep in mind, at the time I was still eating regular bread. She ordered one of the angus burgers with fries and a soda. I ordered a classic grilled chicken sandwich with honey mustard (it comes on a honey wheat bun and I never get mayo). I also ordered a side salad instead of fries. To drink I had an unsweetened iced tea. I hate wasting money on buying bottled water. Otherwise, that probably would have been the drink I ordered. Yes, I think it's a waste in more ways than one. Anyway, how often do you go out to eat and make the wrong choices? People crucify McDonalds. But the choice is yours. They know they are fast food. They are not trying to fool anyone. So, why believe the media hype? If you're going out to eat to replace a meal you would normally eat at home then you should eat as if you were eating at home. In our fast-paced-both-parents-work-world eating out happens multiple times a week. Rule of thumb is to indulge or "cheat" only if you're celebrating something. I always remind myself how junk food makes me feel. I'm sure that's happened to you, right? You finish eating and you feel like crap because what you ate was crap.

Once you start to eat cleaner your body will stop craving the foods that are not good for you. Your body will also stop accepting those types of foods. For example, if you are a big carb eater you're body will go through withdrawal when you start to minimize it in your diet. Your body will look for it and you may even get headaches the way you would if you were cutting caffeine. After the first few days that feeling will pass.

Another way to make sure you are making a better choice is to meal prep. Over the weekend I do a ton of meal prepping for my family. I set lunch for my husband and I. I portion out dinners for my son. And I make sure he has enough fresh fruit when he wants a snack. I also prep the vegetables that go with our dinner, especially the ones that take a little longer to cook like brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes. Make sure your pantry and fridge/freezer are stocked with the right foods; fresh fruit and vegetables, real fruit juice, seltzer water, olive oil, brown rice, gluten free pasta, gluten free bread, oats, honey, rice cakes, dried fruit, raw nuts, hummus, tortilla chips, salsa, guacamole, frozen vegetables, fish fillets, ground turkey, canned vegetables like beans and corn. Stock up with good food that will satisfy any of your cravings. You shouldn't go hungry. Just eat the right foods.  Get rid of all the garbage. If you don't give yourself access to it you won't be tempted to have it.

Sometimes you need more motivation than a self reminder. Instagram is one of my inspirations. Look for me @abels_mom - I follow a ton of men and women that are healthy and fit or trying to get there. It reminds me of what I am trying to accomplish. My feed is full of fitspo. You also have to read! Go online or subscribe to health magazines. When I'm tempted to skip the gym or eat something that I consider a cheat I pick up a fitness magazine. As you become more savvy the information in the magazines may seem redundant. But I'm sure it'll stop you from eating that cookie. Seeing a picture of the cover model will make you get up and get your workout done. Have you ever regretted a workout after you completed it? I didn't think so!


I will give you lunch and dinner ideas in my next post. I hope that makes you look forward to the next one. And I hope even more that you use the ideas I give you! Stay tuned...

In good health,
Alana

No comments:

Post a Comment